The Beacon Community School Strategy is designed to support the implementation of the SFUSD Comprehensive Community Schools Framework utilizing the Beacon Model. Beacon Community School programs will provide powerful learning, integrated health and social supports, and authentic family and community engagement to develop students’ cognitive, social,emotional, and civic capacities. Beacon Community School programs will be student-centered, grounded in partnership and focused on the needs of students, families and the school community in order to provide youth and families with a full range of opportunities and supports. The Beacon Community School Strategy targets designated SFUSD Tier 3 K-5 elementary schools, Tier 3 K-8 Schools and 6-8 middle schools.
DCYF allocated $10,470,000 in annual funding to 27 programs across 15 agencies for the OST Beacon Community School Strategy in the Request for Proposals (RFP) 2018-2023 cycle. Click here for more detailed information on the DCYF 2018-023 RFP/RFQ Submitted and Funded Proposals.
Strategy Goals include:
- To create expanded learning opportunities at schools in order for youth to feel safe, gain skills, develop supportive relationships and show growth in youth development and academic measures.
- To ensure that parents and caregivers have a connection to school and access to community resources at their child’s school, have strong relationships with their children and other family members, and have the skills to navigate school and life more effectively.
- To create school-community partnerships that are intentionally coordinated and aligned to meet the needs of the youth and families at that school so that they can thrive.
- To support participants’ development of social and emotional skills.
Our Beacon Community School 2018-2023 Grantees include:
- Bay Area Community Resources (Bret Harte Beacon Center, Paul Revere Beacon Center, Herbert Hoover Beacon Center, A.P. Giannini Beacon Center and A.P. Giannini Beacon Center - SF Recreation and Park facility)
- Bayview Hunters Point YMCA (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. MS Beacon Center)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco George Washington Carver Elementary Beacon
- Buchanan YMCA (Dr. William Cobb Community School Beacon, John Muir Community School Beacon)
- Community Youth Center of San Francisco (Beacon at Aptos Middle School)
- Embarcadero YMCA (Bessie Carmichael Beacon)
- Good Samaritan Family Resource Center (Willie Brown)
- Jamestown Community Center (Beacon - Cesar Chavez Elementary School, Beacon - Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 School, Beacon - James Lick Middle School)
- Mission Graduates (Bryant Beacon Center, Sanchez Beacon Center, Flynn Beacon Center, Mission Community Beacon)
- Presidio Community YMCA (Marina Beacon Center)
- Real Options for City Kids (Beacon Community School at Visitacion Valley Middle School, Beacon Community School at El Dorado Elementary School, Beacon Community School at Visitacion Valley Middle School, Beacon Community School at El Dorado Elementary School)
- Richmond District Neighborhood Center (Roosevelt Middle School Beacon, Presidio Middle School Beacon)
- Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (Francisco Beacon Community School)
- Urban Ed Academy (UEA Beacon Community School at Malcolm X Academy)
- Urban Services YMCA (Dr. Charles R. Drew Beacon Center, OMI/Excelsior Beacon Center)
If you have any questions or require additional information about our Out of School Time Beacon Community School Strategy, please call 415-554-8990 or email email@example.com.